Genre: Drama, Mystery, Horror
Year Released: 1992, 2022 (101 Films, and MVD blu-ray)
Runtime: 1h 31m
Director(s): Lesley Manning
Writer(s): Stephen Volk
Cast: Michael Parkinson, Sarah Greene, Mike Smith, Craig Charles
Where To Watch: Available from 101 Films for Region B - https://101-films-store.com/products/ghostwatch-1992-limited-edition-blu-ray
And from MVD for Region A - https://mvdb2b.com/s/Ghostwatch/MVD10350BR
RAVING REVIEW: I didn’t know what this was; I started it and was genuinely confused. THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT had nothing on this when you compare them. I had a blast, just crazy enough to make you second-guess everything you know.
Yep, that’s the only direct comparison I could think of because I don’t know what else could do this justice. While this was initially aired on the BBC on Halloween 1992, it has since gained cult status outside of the UK. The film was aired with the explicit intent of being a “parody,” but the documentary style of the film left many people thinking that these were actual events (although, come on.)
Unfortunately, knowing the truth behind this might hamper its entertainment value a bit. I can only imagine watching it “live” and not knowing. The idea of the experiment is perhaps more incredible than anything else. Even though this was “fake,” it would be nearly comparable to Orson Welles's WAR OF THE WORLDS radio drama broadcast. While the reports of the outfall of both may be exaggerated slightly, the experience was still there.
One of the most impressive aspects is how well this aged. At the same time, most of what you see isn’t “convincing” by today’s standards; I can’t imagine the feeling of watching this on a nationally televised broadcast, especially if you missed the idea that it wasn’t real.
- ‘Do You Believe In Ghosts?’, a brand new 30th anniversary documentary on the Ghostwatch phenomenon
- Commentary with film historians Shellie McMurdo and Stella Gaynor
- Commentary with writer Stephen Volk, producer Ruth Baumgarten, and Director Lesley Manning
- Shooting Reality by Lesley Manning
- Limited Edition Booklet: Includes ‘Extra Sensory Perception Management’ by Sarah Appleton,
- ‘Ghostwatch – As it Happened’ by Tim Murray and the short story ‘31/10’ by Ghostwatch writer Stephen Volk
- Reproduced script, annotated by director Lesley Manning
- Set of six art cards
- Newly commissioned artwork
For more reviews and my YouTube channel, please visit linktr.ee/Overlyhonestmoviereviews
Follow me on Instagram, Letterboxd, Twitter, and YouTube. Find my social media accounts on most platforms simply by searching Overly Honest Movie Reviews.
I’m always happy to hear from my readers; please say hi or send me any questions about all things movies.